Scandinavia, Here I Come! ("What I'm Reading Wednesday/Travel Thursday")

"What I'm Reading Wednesday/Travel Thursday"...
With two other books currently in progress (I know, I know--"pick one and finish it, Ms. Fickle!"), the only thing I've managed to go cover-to-cover on over the past couple of weeks has been a travel guide. (Didn't see that one coming, did you? 😄) 

Why's that, you ask? Because for the first time in nearly 2.5 years, this gal is goin' on holiday!

Better yet, my two-city/two-country itinerary is gonna put me smack-dab in the midst of two of the "Happiest Countries in the World"(yeah, it's a thing, and America is NOT in the Top Ten), which actually makes me happier just thinking about it. (The only downside is, I may not want to come back... aside from the boycat, that is, as he'll be "guarding the fort" [😂] whilst I'm away.) Sweden and Denmark, here I come!

So... quickie review of said tour book, Lonely Planet Pocket Stockholm, by Becky Olsen. 

Since my travels will, for the most part, be confined to urban pursuits, it made more sense to avoid taunting myself with a lot of other things I'd love to see (but won't be able to, at least not on this trip), which is what would undoubtedly happen were I to leaf through a comprehensive book of the entire country... so, city guide, it is. 

The verdict? Pocket Stockholm is, on the whole, a pretty sweet little guide, conveniently divided into the different areas of the city. Top attractions are highlighted (what to see/do, where to eat/drink, etc.), with mini-itineraries for each region (on the lines of "if you have 'x' number of days, do these things"). Plenty of maps are included, as well, which is always a big plus (even though I, historically--and hilariously, to my friends--still manage to get lost everywhere, map or no map, if left to my own devices).

My only niggling complaint is pretty minor: there's a LOT of repetition, because the guide has an abbreviated section, then longer sections for each area of the city, then still more-detailed bits. (If I were using a hard copy of the guide, it would be easy enough to physically tab/bookmark the parts I wanted to access repeatedly, but I opted for the ebook to use on my iPad, rather than having to tote along a bunch of books... and it's never as simple to find things when you can't flip through actual pages.) Certainly not that big a deal... and it wouldn't be an issue, at all, with a tree-book.

Hmm... guess maybe I ought to shell out for the Pocket Copenhagen book next, eh? Last thing I want to do is miss out on any of the potential happy things in store... 😀

~GlamKitty 







  

Comments

Post a Comment

No ads or shilling, please. And always, always be polite.

Popular posts from this blog

Desperation, Loneliness, and Murder (science fiction book REVIEW of Earthrise)

The Real-Life Temperance Brennan: Kathy Reichs on a Case

A Different Spin on "Phantom"... (classic movie REVIEW)